25 September 2009

delgado

Multimedia message
delgado travel...i've been going to these offices since i was born.
We'd head over to send packages, money or just to call. The 8 digits necessary to dial out pasted on the wall as if we all don't know it by heart already. My mom and cyn and i would cram into one of the booths and pass the phone around and my mom would get teary eyed when our phone call would coincide with a gathering. The family gathered together...except for her.

I remember being really sad to see my mom have to go to this place to talk to her family. Being so far away back before the internet the world felt like a very very big place. I remember thinking i was glad that i didn't have to do that. When I lived there it didn't seem so bad. Then again i was a teenager and i had my own little live to lead...you don't miss your parents when you're a rebellious teen...

Then my parents moved back.

It makes me so melancholy to go to one of these places now. I'll go into the booth, send them little packages (which take 3 weeks to get there). It seems like a cruel joke. They had to do this, they know how hard it is on this end.

And even with the internet with it's video chats and emails, the distance still feels very very large to me sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. while the internet may have brought us closer....i feel it pushes us apart even more.

    what i would do to have my abuelita hug me daily, or smell my tias cooking.

    msrosa just came back from mexico....i am jealous :/

    ReplyDelete